Jul 22, 2008

The Streets of NYC

Brooklyn on a Friday. Nice camera. Nice girl. Nice weather. Nice location. Some nice pictures before it goes wrong. The shoot starts in the streets under the Manhattan bridge. No one really seems to even be paying particular attention to our vinyl covered vixen ( see last post for the first outfit) when we decide to mosey into Brooklyn Bridge Park. I love the abandoned building to the left as you walk in as well as the ability to get the Brooklyn Bridge clearly into the shots. We are shooting with the outfit you see below and from out of nowhere comes the friendly (well not so friendly) neighborhood park security guy. To set the stage I'm pretty big... about six five and 240. This guy was wider than me...not as tall but not small either. He rides up in a gold cart and says "what's the purpose of this fucking shoot?"
no " how are you? what's up?" no "hey...that's a pretty girl but we can't have that here" nothing of the sort....my answer is "to get some pictures" he comes storming out with the "what are you a wise guy?" thing leaving me no real place to go but defense. he starts with the hands up near my face thing and i ask him to lower them...he does not follow my request. i then quietly tell him that if he won't put his hands down I will drop him...
this engenders a negative response as one might imagine...he goes to his supervisor and comes back with 5 other guys and they all look like they want trouble except the guy that turns out to be the boss...i explain to him my past employment as a member of ny's finest and let him know that my understanding of the laws for photos in nyc were that i just couldn't use a tripod for over 30 minutes but according to him brooklyn bridge park is a state park and subject to different rules that basically say that if they "deem a shoot commercial" it is prohibited...
to be continued...